Sunday, March 22, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Dad and I went to Flagstaff this past weekend and had a wonderful time. We wanted to see if we could find any Elk sheds and do some pre-scouting as well. The first day we walked about 7 miles and walked through plenty of snow. Dad sunk to his knees a couple of times. We didn't find any sheds but it was just so nice being out there and enjoying the peace and quiet. No cars, tv's, cell phones and best of all no people! The road was closed where we went so the only way to get there was by foot, and people are so lazy anymore we knew that we would be all alone =)

We packed rather light, taking only bedding and a change of clothes. No cooking, just some cold sandwiches and some granola bars. We put our air mattress in the back of our truck and that's where we slept. I forgot how many stars are out there. It was so beautiful! We stayed up for quite a while just looking at them, we also tried to see how many satellites we could find. I think that dad found two or three. After we finally go to sleep we both woke up to some coyotes that couldn't have been more than 30 yards away! It was kind of eerie, but cool at the same time. We have some really warm sleeping bags, but for some reason my feet were like ice cubes. I think that dad thought that I was just being a wimp =) But when we got up that morning I showed him how cold they were. We are both trying to figure out how that happened.

We walked a few more miles that morning and climbed to the top of Slate mountain, and did some glassing, and the best part was...I didn't fall =) Dad found some deer so we watched them for quite a while. I just love being with dad and being outdoors! We found all sorts of game sign. Turkey tracks, Elk tracks, Deer tracks and lots of Elk poop! This will be a great place to hunt if we get drawn. We also saw some pretty good piles of Bear poop! I'm also posting some pictures from our trip. There are some pictures of trees that are missing some bark. Those are called rubs. They were all over the place! Dad and I had a great time. We sure do love being together!









2 comments:

  1. So fun! I really like that picture of you and Daddy. You two are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that picture too!!! SOunds way fun! can't wait to go camping and hopefully get drawn for elk!!!

    ReplyDelete